December 30, 2012
Have you ever noticed that when you are in trouble financially, you have to take desperate measures?
Unless you are ready, (which usually you are not), decision making can get clouded. Also, when you are desperate and in trouble, you tend to make choices that are much more “expensive”.
For example, if you go to the bank to get a loan when you are dead flat broke, the bank will most likely reject the request. The only place you can go to get money when you are broke are places that will cost you dearly in the long run (title loan places, borrow money from friends, etc.).
But, if you go to the bank for a loan when you don’t need one (because you are financially stable and you have lots of savings), they can’t wait to give you one! The better your credit, the lower your interest rate.
Who typically goes into check cashing centers? Typically someone using a check cashing
center is someone who is desperate for money. They get charged up to 30% of their check just to cash it! Why? Because, they are desperate.
In network marketing when someone is struggling, they tend to take desperate measures that
can ultimately lead to “ruin”. People have been known to compromise their values, make rash and
destructive decisions and abuse their relationships in the interest of quick money. Most network marketing companies that tell you that you will make quick money are doing one of the following:
- Front-End Loading: (encouraging people to buy or “front load” $1500-$5000 in product so that they can qualify for a higher bonus level or promotion). This practice is frowned upon by the regulatory agencies and can get a company shut down. Many companies have been investigated and shut down for the practice of front-end loading.
- Using enticement: Grossly exaggerating income possibilities or using “smoke and mirrors” tactics to entice you to come on board with them.
In the long run, these desperate measures almost always lead to financial ruin.
Your business will suffer and you’ll most likely struggle if you are emotionally or financially desperate. Desperation is a tough place to be when you are trying to build a business. Most of us have found ourselves in a place of desperation from time to time in our lives. I equate a state of desperation a state of EMERGENCY. You must act quickly and decisively. You’re going to drown. Your ship is sinking. If you find yourself broke or desperate, here are a few things you can do to prevent a crisis:
- QUICKLY get yourself out of the emotional state of desperation. Your state of mind has little to do with the physicality of your situation. We have all felt desperate fear only to learn that our fear was completely unwarranted. Fear and desperation are both “states of mind” and not connected to the actual situation. They are our physical response to a surprise event. As entrepreneurs we must learn to adjust our “state” to remain calm when things are out of whack. Have you ever heard the phase, “Don’t ever let them see you sweat”? Adjust your focus and language and reclaim your power. This is the only state of mind that will serve you in a situation like this. Breathe.
- QUICKLY stabilize your financially situation. It’s okay to temporarily get a job that can help you pay the bills while you are building your network marketing business. I have had to take many steps back over my career to ultimately get to where I am today. At one point I had to rent out my primary residence, sell both my cars and take out a second mortgage. I even took the bus to work for 2 years because I couldn’t come up with the money to fix the alternator on my car.
- PEDAL TO THE METAL – There is not time to waste. Put on your blinders, turn off the TV and work your tail off. Steps one and two will help you to survive. Step three will get you out of this mess you have created for yourself. Follow the plan. Be vigilant in your mission. FILL your calendar with appointments. Plug in. Be creative and resourceful. Expand your list. Be passionate.
Network marketing is DESIGNED as a part-time business. OVER TIME you can create a substantial residual income that will replace or even exceed a job income. Even great wealth is possible. However it takes time, patience, work, vision, faith, commitment and resourcefulness. Be cautious of the promise of quick money. It typically won’t happen as fast as you want it
to and as long as you are in action, it won’t take as long as you think it might.
As I learn to fly helicopters, I must master the autorotation. An autorotation is a maneuver that is required if there is ever an engine or drive failure while in flight. If the “LOW ROTOR RPM” warning siren sounds (not good!), I must IMMEDIATELY take EMERGENCY measures. There is not time for thought. It’s a desperate situation! A crash is imminent unless I follow the steps to “glide” the helicopter down. I must take immediate measures if I am to land safely.
Here’s the good news; you have a vehicle that can fix the problem. Your situation can be completely solved within the next 18 months if you will commit, focus and work.